Since 1947, we have produced medicines for the Public Health System of the Argentinean province, Santa Fe. Towards the end of the 1940’s the Argentinean National Government created the Secretariat of Public Health entrusting Dr. Ramón Carrillo with the Secretary position, and he later became the first Ministry of Health in Argentina’s history. In that context, the creation of Hospital Pharmacies was promoted as an alternative solution to the needs of medicines from the Public Health System.
In line with the situation, the province of Santa Fe implemented the needed actions for the installation of a medicine production unit, with the objective of supplying those recently created Hospital Pharmacies. That medicines production unit was called Laboratorio Industrial Farmacéutico, or its acronym LIF (Pharmaceutical Industrial Laboratory, in English), which coincides with the current name.
Although there are no official records of its creation, LIF continued to work under that name until 1987, year in which the Provincial Legislature finally sanctioned Law No. 10 069, officially creating ‘Laboratorio Productor de Fármacos Medicinales’ or its acronym LFPM (Medicine Producer Laboratory, in English).
In 1989, the laboratory ceased to be a Division of the Supply Management of the Health Ministry and became the General Directorate of Medicines Production. During that period, important investments on equipment and infrastructure were made establishing an adequate profile for the industrial demands.
Consequently, the laboratory began to play a leading role providing medicines to the Ministry of Health of Santa Fe.
At the beginning of the 1990s, the Public Health System became more complex and the LIF needed to fulfill the recently updated national regulatory framework to provide a quick and effective response to the Public Health patients.
In 1999, Provincial Law No. 11 657 transformed LPFM into a state-owned enterprise (SE, acronym in Spanish), in order to provide suitable responses to Public Health demands.
As a result, LPFM SE became an undisputed national referent among the constellation of Argentinean state-owned laboratories of medicines production. Additionally, it had a very well known recognition of the national health authorities.
Finally, in 2007, the last change took place and the organization returned to its original name: Laboratorio Industrial Farmacéutico; but this time being a state-owned enterprise, Sociedad de Estado (LIF SE). One year later, LIF SE achieved the commercial authorization from the National Food, Drug and Medical Technology Administration (Administración Nacional de Medicamentos, Alimentos y Tecnología Médica, ANMAT) and we became one of the first public medicines producer to provide to the largest National Health Program for medicine supply called REMEDIAR. This participation expanded our horizons and our products reached all Argentine provinces.
Currently, throughout the provincial territory we are supplying the Primary Health Care System of Santa Fe with our production. Monthly, we reach 795 healthcare providers of the 5 regions that make Santa Fe ‘s Health System: Rafaela, Reconquista, Rosario, Santa Fe and Venado Tuerto. In addition, we directly supply major hospitals such as CEMAFE, Alassia, Cullen, Iturraspe, Mira y López and Sayago in Santa Fe city, and Centenario, Eva Perón and Hospital Provincial in Rosario.
We maintain our growth through continuous investment in training for our professional team, in infrastructure and in technological innovations. Furthermore, in the constant exchange with the scientific-technological ecosystem at regional and national level.